Recent MBS Graduates
Lauren Brutscher, Ph.D. Microbiology
Dissertation: Insect-Microbe Interactions: Honey Bee Antiviral Defense and Wheat Stem Sawfly Microbiome
Future Plans: Lauren is finishing research in Dr. Flenniken's laboratory and will soon join U.C. Davis California for her Postdoc.
- Brutscher, L. M., Daughenbaugh, K. F. & Flenniken, M. L. Antiviral defense mechanisms in honey bees. Curr. Opin. Insect Sci. 2, 1–12 (2015).
- Brutscher, L. M. & Flenniken, M. L. RNAi and Antiviral Defense in the Honey Bee. J. Immunol. Res. 2015, 1–10 (2015).
- Brutscher, L. M., McMenamin, A. J. & Flenniken, M. L. The Buzz about Honey Bee Viruses. PLoS Pathog. 12, 1–7 (2016).
- Brutscher, L. M., Daughenbaugh, K. F. & Flenniken, M. L. Virus and dsRNA-triggered transcriptional responses reveal key components of honey bee antiviral defense. Sci. Rep. 7, 6448 (2017).
photo credit Kelly Gorham
Sarah Mailhiot, Ph.D. Engineering
Advisor: Dr. Ron June
Dissertation: Diffusion and Diffusive Exchange are Sensitive to the Structure of Cartilage as Measured by Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
Future Plans: Sarah is currently finishing research in Dr. June's laboratory and will travel to Sweden for a Postdoc in Physical Chemistry.
- Mailhiot SE, Zignego DL, Prigge JR, Wardwell ER, Schmidt EE, June RK (2015) Non-Invasive Quantification of Cartilage Using a Novel In Vivo Bioluminescent Reporter Mouse. PLoS ONE 10(7)
- Mailhiot, S. E., Williamson, N. H., Brown, J. R., Seymour, J. D., Codd, S. L., & June, R. K. (2017). T 1–T 2 Correlation and Biopolymer Diffusion Within Human Osteoarthritic Cartilage Measured with Nuclear Magnetic Resonance. Applied Magnetic Resonance, 48(4), 407–422.
Photo credit Kelly Gorham
Sarah Ohlen, Ph.D. Neuroscience
Advisor: Dr. Frances Lefcort
Dissertation: Determining Function of The Ikap Protein in the Peripheral Nervous System for Targeted Therapeutic Intervention in Familial Dysautonomia.
Future Plans: Sarah is currently finishing research in Dr. Lefcort's laboratory.
Lefcort, F., Mergy, M., Ohlen, S. B., Ueki, Y., & George, L. (2017). Animal and cellular models of familial dysautonomia. Clinical Autonomic Research, 27(4), 235–243.
Katie Davis, Ph.D. Engineering
Dissertation: Organic Amendments for Enhancing Microbial Coalbed Methane Production
Publications: Barnhart, E. P., Davis, K. J., Varonka, M., Orem, W., Cunningham, A. B., Ramsay, B. D., & Fields, M. W. (2017). International Journal of Coal Geology. International Journal of Coal Geology, 171(C), 69–75.
Future Plans: Katie is finishing up her research and currently looking for postdoc positions.